Subject: Re: SMB Linux approaches?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:01:54 -0800
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:01:54 -0800
on Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 02:43:09PM -0500, L Jean Camp (jean camp@harvard.edu) wrote:

> On Sunday, March 21, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Chris Maeda wrote:
> >

> >You may also find your biggest objection is the fact that QuickBooks
> >doesn't run on Linux.
> >

> That is so true. QuickBooks is the essential missing app.
>
> Your FAQ is too technical.

Any specific suggestions?  It's sort of a mini Knoppix manual, and I'm
trying to keep it low-key.

> One thing that has worked for me with highly non-technical and even
> math phobic groups is to connect their mental models of cars with the
> mental models of software. SMBs understand "lease, rent, buy" in cars.
> Most buy, some lease.  So I go from utility computing as the extreme
> end of leasing to Linux as the extreme end of owning.
>
> Beware of TLAs. Each TLA decreases by 10% the people who will keep
> reading.
>
> Linux: buy it, own it, use it, run it, keep it, expand it or shrink it
> Other: use once, pay once.  use twice, pay twice

> Put a little decision tree on there
>

> Today - linux, X$   nxt yr Linux - 0$,  MS y$  (total cost)
>
> Today - ms, Y$   nxt yr Linux - 0$,  MS y$  (total cost)

Fair point.

> Use some of Hal's listing of benefits.

Pardon?

> Find some examples in their industry - pick some on-line store that
> uses linux.

One addition I'm thinking of is a 1/3 cut insert listing companies using
GNU/Linux.  Preferably in long-line continuous run-on listing format,
such as you'd find at the back of an annual report listing customers.
Significant or local entities bolded.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
		        SCO vs IBM Linux lawsuit info:  http://sco.iwethey.org