Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Tim O'Reilly <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:40:02 -0800

On Jan 31, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> Sun main contribution to free software is Open Office, much more
> significant than Mozilla and probably the biggest contribution ever by
> proprietary software company.

Actually, openoffice.org is just the tip of the iceberg.  If I recall
(albeit dimly), when Rishab Ghosh did analysis of the copyrights in a
typical Linux distribution, about 5% of the code was copyright Sun -- a
higher percentage than was copyright the FSF, btw.  I'm sure that these
numbers have changed.   There were also very high contributions from
vendors like the late lamented DEC, IBM, etc.  So don't underestimate
the contribution of corporations to the base infrastructure of Linux.
An awful lot of the code that gets wrapped around the kernel made it
into Linux from various companies.  I forget the name of Rishab's tool,
and am not online to look it up, but it's worth remembering.

Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
707-827-7000
http://www.oreilly.com (company), http://tim.oreilly.com (personal)