Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 23 Dec 1997 15:31:41 -0000

Bob Weiner writes:
 > ... relevant to a pro-business discussion.

Yes.  I think that freed software, in order to displace any
significant amount of proprietary software, needs to be able to
generate income on a par with proprietary software.  Freed software
has efficiencies (e.g. vastly reduces the transaction cost of
user-contributed improvements, or ease of distribution) that cannot be
matched by proprietary software, so we shouldn't expect that it needs
to generate the same amount of revenue to generate equivalent profit.
But the environment in which freed software competes is one of profit
and loss.

Is anyone other than Cygnus positioning and selling freed software as proprietary?
If that model is successful, why is Cygnus moving away from it?
Are they doing so for rational reasons, or out of fear of lost market opportunity?

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.