Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:13:28 -0800
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:13:28 -0800
on Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:21:15AM -0500, Russell Nelson (nelson@crynwr.com) wrote:
> Anthony Long writes:
>  > Do people think it would help the image of Sun to donate the
>  > OpenOffice.org codebase and project to a non-profit consortium made up
>  > of key players such as Sun, Red Hat, Novell, and others who have a stake
>  > in OpenOffice.org?  Would this help increase code contributions from
>  > other corporations and individual volunteers?
>
> Why not just donate it to the Mozilla Foundation, or the Gnome
> Foundation, or the Open Source Initiative, or the Public Software
> Fund, or the Free Software Foundation?  What purpose would another
> non-profit serve?

...or Software in the Public Interest.  Best known as parent of the
Debain Project, also Fresco, GNUStep, LSB, and GNU TeXmacs.  More
general than Mozilla.  Less political (um, sort of) than FSF.

Peace.

    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]