Subject: FS Economists and other academics (was: Re: Epistemology of FS)
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:15:01 -0800
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:15:01 -0800
on Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:24:57PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen@xemacs.org) wrote:

>     kms> Here in the Bay Area we've got Hal Varian, dean of the School
>     kms> of Information Management Science, at Berkeley.
>
> Hal is a smart guy, and a good one, but he's not done research on
>  open source  last I talked to him (part of that is due to being dean,
> of course), and he's never done empirical work to speak of.  This last
> is quite important to this discussion.

    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~hal/people/hal/papers.html

     Linux Adoption in the Public Sector [PDF]
         (Co-authored with Carl Shapiro.) White paper describing some of
         the economic issues surrounding open source and open standards
         software and its adoption by the public sector.

         http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~hal/Papers/2004/linux-adoption-in-the-public-sector.pdf

It's non-technical and more a "here's what GNU/Linux is" rather than
"economics of free software development", but you might want to work
through the footnotes.  So he's sort of a border case:  works with it,
knows it a lot, not much research to date.

Siobhan O'Mahony, Harvard Business School, did her PhD dissertation on
organizational structure of free software projects:

    The Emergence of a New Commercial Actor: Community Managed Software
    Projects
    http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/omahony.pdf

...and continues to do research in the area:

    http://dor.hbs.edu/fi redirect.jhtml?facInfo=pub&facEmId=somahony&loc=extn

> He's a user of open source though, one of the earliest converts to TeX
> in the economics profession, and production his recent books are all
> managed with various open source TeX tools, *nix, emacs, and rcs.

Right.  Also the person respnsible for nixing the advertising clause
from the BSD license, for which he deserves many thanks.

Peace.

    The question is not whether I'm paranoid, it's whether I'm paranoid enough.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]