Subject: Re: need source for an oft-quoted stat
From: Tim O'Reilly <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:46:20 -0800

And I believe Eric's source was just a riff on looking at the number of
want-ads for programmers at companies who were NOT in the business of
providing IT products and services, vs. at companies directly in the
software industry.

On Feb 9, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf writes:
>>
>> "Most software development is focused on software intended for
>> internal
>> use" is, in varying forms, a statistic quoted often when talking
>> about why
>> Open Source appeals broadly.  Anyone know the source of this, or other
>> related stats?  It's for a business-magazine piece.
>
> First time I heard it was from Eric Raymond in the Cathedral and the
> Bazaar.  It's likely to be on Target; consider how much code Wal*Mart
> must have, or Sears, or KMart (but ahhh I repeat myself).
>
> --
> --My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | The laws of physics
> cannot
> Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | be legislated.
> Neither can
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241 cell  | the laws of
> countries.
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 212-202-2318 VOIP  |

Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
707-827-7000
http://www.oreilly.com (company), http://tim.oreilly.com (personal)