Subject: RE: rocket science
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:30:46 -0500

Russell McOrmond writes:
 >   The bad guys always have access to the source code or at least
 > decompiled software and can analyze it.  What Open Source does is level
 > the playing field by encouraging skilled "good guys" to find and solve
 > problems before the bad guys exploit them.  I have never understood the
 > flat-earth style thinking that suggests that closed source helps
 > security....

This *should* be obvious, but isn't.  See
    http://crynwr.com/on-being-proprietary.html

Assume that your competitor already has your source code.

--
--My blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | The laws of physics cannot
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | be legislated.  Neither can