Subject: Re: RFC on this situation
From: william@CS.UCLA.EDU (William Cheng)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 93 21:24:02 -0800

> What if the commercial use is done in such a way that it's not proprietary?
> A not-so-hypothetical example to counter yours:  what if we at Cygnus
> wanted to use this software, and promised to distribute sources (which is
> something we already do).  Would we need to pay?
>
> One example of something of this nature is Ghostscript.  (As I understand
> it -- LPD may wish to comment if he sees this).  L. Peter Deutsch maintains
> two versions of this software: one with a copyright that allows hoarding,
> and another under the GPL.  As author, he's allowed to do this.  The
> technical content of the two versions is identical.  It's the copyright
> that changes.
>
> The Khoros distribution also allows free non-commercial use, but requires a
> license from the U of NM for commercial use.  So precedents exist for these
> sort of terms.
>
> In your case, you could freely redistribute a version that allows
> non-commercial use, and then make an offer to distribute your other
> version, which allows commercial use, for a fee.

This is interesting!  My main question is regarding the definition of
``commercial use''.  Does it mean selling (redistributing for profit)
and selling derived work (assuming that source is distributed)?  Or,
does it mean that it is used in a commercial environment?
--
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (310) 645-8328
3564-C Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA