Subject: Re: industry-specific desktops?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:41:03 -0700
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:41:03 -0700
on Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:23:19AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf (brian@collab.net) wrote:

> Anyone know of any company offering Linux desktops customized for
> particular industries/commercial tasks?  A reporter called asking about
> such a thing, and I had through I'd heard of this in the medical office
> space, but it might have been some other industry.  Point-of-sale systems
> kind of count, I guess...

Lots of Knoppix varieties, including medicine, bioinformatics, security,
and the like.  Not "desktop" in the traditional sense, though they can
certainly be installed to hard drive rather than run live.

LWN has among the better lists, including special purpose / mini
distributions:

    http://lwn.net/Distributions/#special

...including digital content creation, several rescue distros (technical
/ forensics), lots of multimedia playback & edit systems, VOIP/PBX,
bioinformatics, visually impaired, clustering (likely not a desktop...),
medicine (Debian-Med), kiosk systems, firewalls (also not desktop...),
meta-mini-distros (tools to roll your own, e.g.:  GENDIST), MythTV /
video recorders, security-oriented distros, college resnet tester,
thin-client systems, Linksys wrt54g mods, Xen (hypervisor) distros.

Debian's also highly modular and supports custom-targetted systems,
specifically through "Custom Debian Distributions":

    http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian

Existing customizations include:

   - Debian-BR-CDD: a CDD by the brazilian project Debian-BR
   - Debian Desktop:
   - DebianGIS: a CDD for Geographical Information and Earth Observation
     Systems (includes OpenGIS and GPSTk).
   - Debian Junior: For children
   - Debian Lex:
   - Debian Med: Medical
   - Debian Nonprofit:
   - DebianNeo: Debian Stable for newbies
   - DeMuDi: Audio (part of AGNULA)
   - LliureX: Distribution for the Valencian (Spain) Public Educational
     System ( http://www.cult.gva.es/ ).
   - Skolelinux (built by the DebianEdu project): a CDD aimed at schools.
   - UserLinux: DebianEnterprise and DebianEnterpriseServer are
     UserLinux derivatives; enterprise desktop, SOHO; fostering service
     and support: certification, installation, configuration and
     maintence providers.
   - EducationElectronics .
   - Ichthux: a CDD aimed at christians

Might also want to ping Ian Murdoch since this (well, aside from RH
legacy support) is his baliwick.  I've forwarded your query.

Peace.

    Napa Small Animal Hospital:  good folks, healthy pets.
    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/nsah.html

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]