Subject: Further OT: fonts (was Re: OT: Carriage return inserts in MS Exchange email -- fix?)
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:58:33 -0700
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:58:33 -0700
on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:10:35AM +0200, A. Pagaltzis (pagaltzis@gmx.de) wrote:
> * Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2005-07-22 04:40]:
> > on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:41:30AM +0200, A. Pagaltzis (pagaltzis@gmx.de) wrote:
> > > I???ve had the same problem for a while.
> >
> > Yes, and interesting quotes you've got....
>
> They???re curly quotes, encoded as UTF-8, just as my headers
> declare. Don???t blame *me* if your MUA can???t handle that. :-)

I think my MTA's fine.  And I think my terminal (urxvt) is fine.  It's
likely X fonts.  I'm using 7x13, which is an alias of
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1

Gotta love X and fonts and unicode and ...

Trying a few obvious things (setting locale, other tricks...).

Hrm.  Well, I can get 'em to go from '???' to an 'a-hat'.

> > Apparently webmail's out of the question, though I suspect
> > gmail might fix much of this brain-deadedness.
>
> Gmail would fix all these problems, indeed. So would Yahoo!Mail,
> in fact, as well as a surprising number of other web-based
> freemailers, despite their lack of Googlesque focus on threading.
>
> * Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2005-07-22 04:40]:
> > :0 fhw
> > | $FORMAIL -R "Content-Type:" "X-Original-Content-Type:"
> >
> > :0 fhw
> > | $FORMAIL -a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=\"iso-8859-1\"; format=\"flowed\""
>
> Note that if you simply use `-i`, then the original header will
> be preserved, prefixed with `Old-`.

Hrm.  That's a point.  I like X-headers myself, as they're pretty much
assured safe.

Peace.

    tried it.
    - Donald Knuth