Subject: RE: Larry Ellison on FSBs
From: "Anderson, Kelly" <KAnderson@dentrix.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:21:04 -0600

 Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:21:04 -0600
> So would Larry Ellison.  What I want to know is how MySQL is
> going to cause Ellison to spend more than 5 minutes thinking
> about it---until he decides to buy it so he can get its programmers.

Aquiring a company does not necessarily acquire it's programmers, at
least not over the long term. And it most definitely does not acquire
their hearts, even over the short term.

Imagine, you are a MySQL programmer, David going against Goliath year
after year... then all of a sudden you are drafted into the Philistine
army, along with David. Are you all of a sudden going to change your
heart and begin to love all things Philistine?

If you think that, I believe you are quite naieve about the kinds of
things that motivate a lot of open source programmers.

As it says in the credit card commercials, "Some things you can't buy."

-Kelly

E-Mail messages may contain viruses, worms, or other malicious code. By reading the
message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking
protective action against such code. Sender is not liable for any loss or damage arising
from this message.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.