Subject: Re: So what is an FSB anyway?
From: chk@alias.com (C. Harald Koch)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1993 17:22:44 -0500

>  o A FSB that sells support has an incentive to do a poor job (not
>    fix all the bugs).  Of course, they also have an incentive to do
>    a good job.  All in all, they need to keep their customers happy,
>    but they also have to give their customers a reason to continue
>    purchasing support.  In my experience, users who have no problems
>    have no need for support either.

But "problems" doesn't just mean software bugs. People need support and/or
upgrades for all sorts of reasons. e.g. new hardware releases, new OS
releases, all the "I'd like to interface X to Y" type stuff. Then there's
beginner training, advanced training...

I know of several existing organizations who's customer support divisions
are profitable, not because of bugs, but because they help users get the
most out of their hardware/software.

You can still make money 'supporting' reliable software without ever having
to just fix bugs.

--
Main's Law: For every       | C. Harald Koch  Alias Research, Inc. Toronto, ON
action, there is an equal   | chk@alias.com                (work-related mail)