Subject: Re: question about selling software for an opensource project
From: Brian Behlendorf <>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:14:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Marc Manthey wrote:
> My idea is, i want to to start a webpage, wiki, forum support and
> anonymous CVS for my project, where anybody could download the sources
> for free and SELL the ready made binarys that i provide for windows,
> macintosh and unix for consumers or non- geeks that are not able to
> compile it for themselfs for a little fee.
> Is this legal ? Or what other possibility i have, because there is no
> sponsor involved and we need some money for food ;-) Any ideas would be
> greatly appreciated

Aah, Maslow's hierarchy of needs strikes again!  :)

Yep, what you want to do is perfectly legal.  You might want to also
consider selling a support agreement with those downloads.  One thing to
consider, however, is that you can't prevent someone else from doing the
same thing.  If you use a copyleft license, then it'll require that anyone
who does the same thing also provides the source code (under the same
license) to those binaries, even if modified.

Hope this helps,