Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Federico Lucifredi <flucifredi@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:54:32 -0400

Alexander Wait Zaranek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Rich Bodo <richbodo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hard to say, this one looks a little more telling to me:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=centos%2C+rhel%2C+suse%2C+debian%2C+ubuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>>
>> Looks like Ubuntu is just kicking ass and taking mind-share.  Of course,
>> there is no telling what all that web traffic means in terms of market
>> share.
>>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=redhat%2C+novell%2C+ubuntu%2Capple%2Cmicrosoft&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> I have to agree!  I have the impression that Ubuntu is giving Apple
> and Microsoft genuine competition.  It's a little hard to believe for
> a commercial user of GNU since 1993.

Well, this is mind-share we are looking at - and the data is clear.
Market share (as measured by dollars), they are nowhere yet. As measured
by units... it would be nice to see (but units are hard to get
information), despite the fact that you still need to look at $ if you
are thinking of this business-wise.

  Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi@acm.org