Subject: Re: Paper on dual licensing
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 06:41:15 -0500 (EST)

Tom Lord says:
> You're arguing from the oft repeated belief that if you don't like
> what RHAT has sold you, just hire someone else to work on the source.
> Bullcookies.  How many enterprise customers currently posses (in any
> meaningful sense) complete source for their RHAT systems?  How often
> do they rebuild from scratch?  What testing infrasture do they have in
> house?  How many competing vendors are ready to take over maintenance?

I don't normally respond to Tom Lord posts, but I have the opportunity
to flatly contradict him here.

I work for a company that ships servers running Red Hat Linux running
a proprietary application.  We have modified the kernel and several of
the daemons running on the box.  We don't build most of the system
from source --- only the programs we've modified --- but I don't think
that matters much.

We do not have a huge number of employees; even small companies can
hack kernel sources, and sometimes do, and not for fun.

We do a substantial amount of testing.

Edsger Wybe Dijkstra died in August of 2002.  The world has lost a great
man.  See http://advogato.org/person/raph/diary.html?start=252 and
http://www.kode-fu.com/geek/2002_08_04_archive.shtml for details.