Subject: Re: "University-style" vs "Berkeley" licenses
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 29 Aug 1998 02:13:29 -0000

shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu writes:
 > Under some circumstances, however, it is legitemate to take advantage
 > of a legal technicality.  Whether it is legitemate for some particular
 > circumstance strikes me as a moral question.

When someone invokes the legal system (you must do this because the
law says so), and they're wrong about what the law says (e.g. "This
software is in the public domain, and it's copyrighted so you can't
distribute it at a profit"), then you have to go by what you think
they wanted to have happen (for all the reasons you outlined but I
deleted).

This is not an academic question.  What if it's going to save your
company a big chunk of money to incorporate some Berkeley-licensed
code into GPL-licensed code?  GPL requires no additional restrictions,
Berkeley requires credit in advertising.

It's the same issue.