Subject: Re: Motivating support contracts
From: hecker@netscape.com (Frank Hecker)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:50:20 -0400

Kragen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Frank Hecker wrote:
> > The second is for someone else to wait for you to make your completed
> > binary release public, and then to take that release and distribute it
> > at some zero or non-zero price per user or copy.  As I understand it,
> > this is explicitly permitted by the Open Source Definition  . . .
>
> I believe that, even if this is not forbidden by copyright, it may be
> forbidden by unfair competition laws.

Whether that is so or not I cannot say.  However it seems to me that
this is exactly what is possible with Linux distributions: Once a
certain distribution is released by one company, there is nothing to
prevent another company from distributing that software themselves (at
whatever price they choose to charge) and setting themselves up in
business to provide support for it.

Frank
--
Frank Hecker          Pre-sales support, Netscape government sales
hecker@netscape.com   http://people.netscape.com/hecker/