Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 7 Nov 1998 03:26:35 -0000

Alex writes:
 > My understanding of trademark law is that your company should hire
 > a good, expert trademark lawyer and not rely on legal advice from
 > laypersons like us.

Hehe.  I got over my worship of lawyers when we took a mortgage into a
lawyer and asked him if it was assumable.  He read it over and said
"yes".  After we walked out of the office, thirty dollars poorer, I
noticed the statement in big black letters right under the title that
said "This mortgage is not assumable."  This is not to imply that all
lawyers are stupid, always wrong or fallible, merely that lawyering
isn't rocket science.  [ A lawyer might note that computer programming
isn't rocket science, and I'd agree. ]