Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 30 Mar 1999 20:15:28 -0000

D. V. Henkel-Wallace writes:
 > Whatever the intentions, I feel that the "open source" movement has become
 > an umbrella that people can hide under.  I think apple wanted to do the
 > right thing, but their thinking was alien to their model, so they needed
 > more guidance than they got.

People keep coming back to Apple.  There *will* be an APSL 1.1.
*Apple* is pushing these changes, not OSI.

 > I think it has become self-defeating; "open source" means little more these
 > days than just shipping the source code.

Where *do* people get this idea from??  Slashdot Anonymous Cowards?
Every open source license puts no restrictions on the modifications
you can make and distribute.  Licenses that fail this test can't use
the mark.  Nearly every license has notification requirements.
Notification requirements have a long tradition in the free software
community.

I'm encouraging the OSI board to admit that "mistakes were made" in re
APSL 1.0.  No progress yet.