Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 1 Apr 1999 20:36:37 -0000

Ben Laurie writes:
 > My concern is that this board seems to be self-appointed, and has its
 > own criteria which are sufficiently vague that it isn't clear to me what
 > they are. I appear to be being asked to support them without them being
 > asked to be accountable to me.

Depends on what you think the Open Source Initiative is for.  Are we
leading?  Or following from in front?  Or just to manage the Open
Source mark?

If you're supposed to be following us, then yes, we're not very
democratic.  If we're supposed to be in front of where y'all are
going, then representation doesn't matter much.  Our skill at being in
front of where you're going is all that matters.  If we're just
providing a certification service, and you don't like it, then the
proper response is to not use it.