Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 1 Apr 1999 21:49:00 -0000

[ one pair of off-list replies and responses, to save your mailboxes -russ ]

Ben Laurie writes:
 > >  > Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >  > > If you're supposed to be following us, then yes, we're not very
 > >  > > democratic.  If we're supposed to be in front of where y'all are
 > >  > > going, then representation doesn't matter much.  Our skill at being in
 > >  > > front of where you're going is all that matters.  If we're just
 > >  > > providing a certification service, and you don't like it, then the
 > >  > > proper response is to not use it.

 > It's absurd to suggest that if I don't like what I see, ignoring it is
 > the correct response.

It depends on the venue.  If it's a political one, then yes, you're
right, because you'll be forced to accept the majority opinion.  Given
the presence of two anarchists on the OSI board, I SERIOUSLY doubt
that OSI would ever pursue a political final solution.

If it's a free market (and I hope you agree that everyone is free to
seek or avoid Open Source certification for their license), then you
can trust that someone will come up with an alternative, if enough
people share your opinion of OSI.