Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 2 Apr 1999 21:29:28 -0000

Ben Laurie writes:
 > What I'd change in your activities:
 >
 > a) reveal your board member selection process

Hmmm...  Well, it comes from b) so I guess these are the same point.

 > b) reveal your deliberations

I'll work on it.

 > c) visibly accept input from the broad community

done deal.

 > d) be democratic

It doesn't matter who makes the rules, as long as the rules treat
everyone fairly.  Calls for democracy usually result when there are
allegations of unfairness, which is what all your other objections
address.

 > e) be open

I don't see any difference from b).  Could you explain?

 > f) find out what people actually want from an "open source" badge, and
 > implement it

done deal.

 > g) don't assume you know best

Hopefully c) and f) will address that.

 > h) don't make it seem that making money is the main reason we should do
 > "open source" (I agree with Brian here - saving money is what it is
 > about, and that's the Great Divide). Maybe this should be a).

Could you say more about this?