Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 2 Apr 1999 21:50:16 -0000

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 >    Date: 2 Apr 1999 21:29:28 -0000
 >    From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
 >
 >     > d) be democratic
 >
 >    It doesn't matter who makes the rules, as long as the rules treat
 >    everyone fairly.  Calls for democracy usually result when there are
 >    allegations of unfairness, which is what all your other objections
 >    address.
 >
 > Do you really believe that?

Yes.  I had to read Bastiat's _The Law_ to understand the value of a
republic.  My government schooling failed to explain why the founders
of our nation considered that freedom would be advanced by a lack of
representation (e.g. only property owners not voting, e.g. the
electoral congress, e.g. representational government).

 > You really don't see any intrinsic value in a genuinely open
 > discussion?  It's not an open discussion if the same person always
 > makes the final decision.

*This* isn't an open discussion, then.  I own the mailing list, I
decide what gets posted to it.  My decision thus far has been that
everything sent to the list gets posted.  And thus far it hasn't been
a problem because that's been seen to be fair.

 > How about changing clause (d) to ``provide a feedback mechanism which
 > is guaranteed to have some effect greater than `we'll take that under
 > consideration.' '' After all, that's one of the main benefits of
 > democracy in this sort of situation: a way to ensure that the
 > leadership can be reined in if they head in the wrong direction.

We have no power to force you to follow us.  If we wish to remain in
the front of this parade, we *have* to keep our eyes over our
shoulders.  There is no need to enshrine reality in rules.

 > Incidentally, what do you mean by ``done deal?''

It's been voted on and approved but not set up or announced.