Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 3 Apr 1999 00:00:44 -0000

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 >    Date: 2 Apr 1999 21:50:16 -0000
 >    From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
 >
 >    We have no power to force you to follow us.  If we wish to remain in
 >    the front of this parade, we *have* to keep our eyes over our
 >    shoulders.  There is no need to enshrine reality in rules.
 >
 > I am, frankly, aghast.  If nothing else, this is a critical
 > misunderstanding on the part of a marketing organization of the value
 > of perception.
 >
 > If I have not even minimal control, then I can only decide right now
 > that I am not following you.

Sure.  <analogy>Everyone on the sides of the parade thinks the guy with
the big "OSI" hat is leading the band.  Some of the band thinks
otherwise, but if they are to successfully lead the parade elsewhere
they have to do so in an organized manner.</analogy>

You'd have to form an organization to represent your own interests.
They would have to differ sufficiently from OSI's to make it
worthwhile doing.  And in the meantime, OSI could say "But we're that,
too," so your organization would have to have goals which are
incompatible with anything OSI could do.

I think you need to keep some perspective.  We're having a fight,
we're not hitting each other, and there's no serious talk of divorce.

Read today's press release.  I think it'll make you happy.

Group hug!