Subject: Re: [Fwd: John C. Dvorak column -- "What's Going On at Microsoft?"]
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 13 Apr 1999 02:02:22 -0000

Tim O'Reilly writes:
 > Interesting article about NT and Linux, and why it would make
 > sense for Microsoft to switch.  (That might not be good for
 > Linux, but it would be good for Microsoft.)
 >
 > http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/insites/dvorak_print/jd_p.htm

Hmmm....  Microsoft could make it work, but only by creating a GUI
which ignores X.  They'd have to lose the DOS portion of their kernel.
Their GUI would have its own drivers, probably win98 drivers modified
as needed to run over Linux.  Yes, the Xfree86 people could certainly
make an X server which ran under the MS GUI, but it would be slower.
The only question is whether Bill Gates feels sufficiently threatened
to take such a radical step.  Certainly he doesn't feel sufficiently
threatened by Department of Justice to bother being truthful (the
videotapes).  I doubt that he feels sufficiently threatened by Linux.