Subject: Re: Funding Open Source Development
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 26 May 1999 02:48:32 -0000

Norman Jacobowitz writes:
 > ***This is absolutely not an attempt to generate interest in my
 > site only, but to begin debate about the industry as a whole.***

Don't be such a coward.  We don't bite.  Much.

 > 1) What do you folks think about the concept?

Well, like anything else, it's great if it works.  Gratis software
development is great if it happens, but sometimes someone has an itch
that they themselves cannot scratch.

If you want to generalize about the whole Open Source movement, the
most cogent thing you can say is that it's strength is in reducing
transaction costs (/me nods at John Gilmore).  If that's true, then
the best thing you can do with your marketplace is to find the most
ways to reduce transaction costs.

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | child.