Subject: Re: Sun, BSD, and GNU
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 31 May 1999 13:20:34 -0000

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > But to me, a free software business is any business that as part of
 > its normal profit-oriented practices produces or distributes free
 > software or free documentation for software.  It doesn't have to be a
 > majority part, although I wish it were and I sympathize with people
 > who would like to define it that way.

There's that nasty four-letter word.  Did you mean libre or gratis?
Hard to tell from the context, yet if you mean gratis, then you're
calling Microsoft a free software business.  I don't think such a
definition is useful.

 > By my definition, Aladdin is an active free software business because
 > Ghostscript becomes free software after a more-or-less set period,
 > even though Aladdin Ghostscript, the primary product, is not free
 > software.

Well, you can argue that the Aladdin Free Public License does more to
encourage libre software, since it's perfectly compatible with an
all-GPL (or all-AFPL for that matter) distribution.  The AFPL isn't
anti-commercial software as much as it's anti-proprietary software.

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | child.