Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 1 Jun 1999 12:41:20 -0000

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > I stand by my statement, that most users by head count will not
 > benefit enough from having source available to them personally, or to
 > anyone who won't charge them all the traffic will bear, to demand it.

This is the same as Ian's argument that freedom of software doesn't
matter when most software is going into items where not even the
manufacturer expects to change the software.  I will agree that that
is correct for some items, however, I will note that the first Palm
Pilots had ROMS, but that the newer ones have Flash (upgradable) ROMS.
In other words, the market puts pressure on manufacturers to create
upgradable hardware.

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | child.