Subject: Re: 100 Acre Software...a look back
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Tiemann writes:
 > Or will Red Hat have to completely invert their business model
 > (from distribution to development) in order to survive?

In a recent interview[1], Linus Torvalds was asked "is it a problem
that all the principal kernel developers of Linux, except for you,
work for Red Hat?"  Linus replied "Not all of them work for Red Hat."

For the record, VA Linux Systems recently sucked up Ted Ts'o and San
Mehat (who is arguably not a "principal kernel developer", but he's a
kernel-level hacker who wrote the Linux BIOS for the Netwinder.
Damnedest thing -- you get to watch the Linux boot messages twice!)

 > History, of course, will answer this for us.

I think history *is* answering (present tense) this for us.  Isn't it
great to make a prediction and have it come true, all in the same day? :)

[1] http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/990621hntorvalds.xml

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Government schools are so