Subject: Re: Brand name aspirin
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:22:45 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > If we want to capitalize on that, maybe we could give some thought to
 > documentation standards that would make that easier.  Eg, some
 > complicated programs (XEmacs) provide "developers'" (application-level
 > Lisp code) and "internals" (low-level Lisp and C code) manuals.
 > Customers who aren't yet thinking of _changing_ the code might find
 > those useful in evaluating the quality of design and implementation.

I wonder if there isn't a market for books which review code for
various program releases?  It would consist of a printout of the code
interspersed with commentary.  Of course, rms would think that even
worse than mere proprietary documentation of free software.  Still,
how do you convince someone to devote a sufficient amount of time to
such a review?  Typically, you either wait for the Copious Spare Time
to add up, or else somebody pays for it.  "Somebody" has to derive
sufficient benefit from it.  If it's not enough for their internal
needs, they have to figure out a way to restrict access to it, then
accept money to remove those restrictions.

I mean, jeez, this is the whole story of this list in a nutshell.

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com