Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:55:32 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 >     rms> Your values are the premises of your thinking.  If you start
 >     rms> from the view that the only relevant values are
 >     rms> materialistic, economic ones, there is no use in my arguing
 >     rms> with your choice.
 >
 > I do not think that "the only relevant values are materialistic,
 > economic ones."  I do not know why you think I do.

RMS is in the majority of people who think that economics is about
money.  It's not.  Economics is the study of what people do with their
freedom -- why they make the choices they make.

 > I know the feeling of being dominated; however, it comes on me when
 > people start talking about having the government come and take money
 > from me ("software tax").

Yup.  I mean, really, are there *any* free software businessmen who
support a software tax?  I guess it depends on the deal you get, but
in my experience, anything paid for with a tax is perpetually
underfunded.  In order to make the big bucks off government coercion,
you need a government monopoly.  And even then you can't make *too*
much profit, instead you have to inflate your costs, as the telephone
companies do.