Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:08:34 -0800

Hmmm...I know I spoke up in defense of your postings, Stephen, but that
was in defense of substantial postings like the one that started this
thread, not the one-on-one argument between you and Richard that has now
gone on so long that I can't imagine that anyone wants to see it
continue.  I'd certainly vote at this point for you guys taking it
offline.

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     rms> Since there is no other reason to bring Galileo into the
>     rms> story, it should not have been done.
>
> Let me make it explicit that an invidious comparison was intended.  I
> am sorry that you cannot see that the difference in methods is
> inessential to the analogy as used, but since the intended analogy, of
> your end to the Pope's ends, is accurate, and I am sure everyone is
> aware that your methods are different from the Pope's, I see no harm
> done.
>
> You hope to suppress research, just as the Pope did.  The Pope's
> methods were, as already acknowledged several times, more forceful.
> But the end intended was equally ignoble, although in both cases
> accompanied by the best of intentions to promote the greater good of
> all.
>
> It is important that you fail in this attempt.  Thus the strong words.
>
> These are my last on this topic.  You may have the final summary if
> you wish.
>
> -
> University of Tsukuba                Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
> Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences       Tel/fax: +81 (298) 53-5091
> What are those two straight lines for?  "Free software rules."

101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com