Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:42:58 -0800

We certainly would consider hiring someone with the right credentials to
do this.  Obviously, we don't publish books only on free software, and
we don't free all of the books that we publish (and I'm happy to explain
again why, although most of you have seen my written debates with
Richard on this topic before, so I'd rather not go down that path), but
there might well be enough projects that meet both criteria to make that
a writer's full time focus for us.

(Re completely free books--we've recently released our Samba book under
those terms, and are working with the Samba team on integrating our
efforts with theirs so that this is the official doc; we are doing the
same with a book on Gnome, and are coordinating with Miguel; we also put
out the Learning Debian book under these terms, and many years ago, the
Linux Network Administrator's Guide.  We have a couple of other projects
like this in the queue as well.  But unless these books surprise us by:

a) being substantially more successful than we would expect if they were
non-free
b) show benefits from substantial community involvement that makes them
better or faster than would be the case if they were non-free)

we will also continue to do lots of books about free software under
normal copyright as well.  Our goal is to get as much good documentation
out there as possible, and we find that economic incentives are often
more powerful than moral ones in getting that to happen.  But that's
another story.)

Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 11:53:40PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> >
> > Right now, on my list, here are the only places that I know are hiring for
> > positions where someone can work writing and documenting only free software:
> >
> > Convergence Integrated Media GMBH
> > LinuxCare
> > Red Hat/Cygnus
> > The Scripps Research Institute
> > VA Linux
> > Wind River Systems
> >

> > Does anyone know of others?
>
> Prosa srl
> (although there's a long queue out of the door :-)
>
> fab
> --
> | fab@pukki.ntc.nokia.com     fpolacco@prosa.it    fpolacco@debian.org
> | 6F7267F5 fingerprint 57 16 C4 ED C9 86 40 7B 1A 69 A1 66 EC FB D2 5E
> | fabrizio.polacco@nokia.com                  gsm: +358 (0)40 707 2468

101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com