Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright?
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 11:08:18 -0500 (EST)

Brian Bartholomew writes:
 > If ABIsource goes obnoxious-monopoly-proprietary, it's worse
 > than if they had never existed.  If you disagree with my evaluation,
 > how much of your disagreement is because you feel I am overweighting
 > the effects of the vendor orphaning the GPL version?

All of it.  *I* would venture to guess that much competition in and
among free software businesses is kept down by the large advantage
held by the creator of the software.  Once that vendor abandons the
GPL version, not one, but multiple parties will seek to fill that
hole.  By way of example, I offer qmail.  Dan Bernstein is too busy to
support qmail, so multiple vendors sell support.  If Dan Bernstein was
interested in selling support, and could fill the market demand, I
would bet that nobody else would try to compete.  Look at Cygnus.
They maintain GCC, and nobody tries to compete with them for selling
support.