Subject: Re: www.oreilly.com -- Tangled Webs: What Gives Them the Right?
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 07:57:37 -0800

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> The analogy is bogus, and the article is full of half-truths.
> Microsoft Corporate Communications would be proud.

I'm not quite sure I see why MS would like this analogy.

> No question, there are problems with IP in the software industry.  But
> the way to deal with it is not by spewing FUD like this.  The problems
> are hard ones.
>
> The solution Romero proposes may be the right one, for all I know.
> I'm just sick of this analogy, and basing policy on it will make the
> whole industry sick too.

Hmmm...  I'd love to hear details of why you think so.  The article was
light on substance to be sure, but the points it made seem to be good
ones to a layman.  Does any other industry use shrinkwrap licenses?
Does any other industry tell you you'll be violating your license to use
the product if you add in other components?  Microsoft does this, and
does it quite effectively in terms of discouraging consumer exploration
of alternatives.

So I'd love to hear more details of why you think this is totally off
base.

> --
> University of Tsukuba                Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
> Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences       Tel/fax: +81 (298) 53-5091
> What are those two straight lines for?  "Free software rules."

101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com