Subject: Re: Support as insurance
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:23:49 -0500 (EST)

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com writes:
 > A contractor came in and did work.  That contractor left with a warranty
 > covering their work and the tools they used.  The insurance is here
 > provided as part of a package deal by the contractor.

Ahhhh, I see.  We are talking about two different things.  You're
talking about a warranty on work performed, while I am talking about a
warranty on the functionality of the software provided.  Product vs
service.

 > > That's one of the reasons why medical insurance (the real thing, not
 > > the ersatz stuff that employers provide) doesn't cover pre-existing
 > > conditions.  And if you seen an insurance plan that does, it's not
 > > insurance, it's socialized medicine.
 >
 > And socialized medicine is bad?

I didn't say that, I just said that it's not insurance.  Insurance,
properly, is selling risk.  Socialized medicine sells the risk and the
certainty, all at the same time.

 > If you want to try to make a business out of it, you must control
 > whatever risk factors you can.

Yup.