Subject: Ben and Jerry's or Amazon?
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 09:53:07 -0700

I was delighted to read this article by Joel Brodsky
(http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$113).  It had some
great stuff about what kind of business you want to be in.

It definitely captured a lot of things that have been true of O'Reilly.
(We started with $500...and I've often made the point that "I want to be
in businesses where time is an ally rather than an enemy.")  I've been
really clear about this choice (Ben & Jerry's every time) but even so, I
found myself realizing that in small ways I've forgotten some of the
guiding principles (as did Ben and Jerry) as we've gotten bigger. So
this was a great refresher.

The article begins:

"Building a company? You've got one very important decision to make,
because it affects everything else you do. No matter what else you do,
you absolutely must figure out which camp you're in, and gear everything
you do accordingly, or you're going to have a disaster on your hands.

"The decision? Whether to grow slowly, organically, and profitably, or
whether to have a big bang with very fast growth and lots of capital."
101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com