Subject: FSB's && libertarianism; also reply to Karsten
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 15:00:46 -0400 (EDT)

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 > By the way, I'd like to suggest that arguments about libertarianism
 > not take place on this list.

I will cheerfully acknowledge that libertarianism might or might not
be good or bad for society at large.  I will also acknowledge that not
everything libertarians propose would be good for businesses.  You're
right, those discussions do not belong on this list.

However, for anybody trying to do business, a libertarian society
would be a great boon.  Since this list is comprised of FREE software
business owners (and wannabees :), I see nothing wrong with promoting
the idea that we ought to be FREE to run our businesses as we see fit.
And that a Libertarian government would protect that right.

s/FREE/libre/g if you want to avoid any bad four-letter words.  :)

Oh, and so as not to waste any more time with Karsten's confusion by
writing a separate message, I'll include the reply I had sent to him
below.  Apparently Karsten thinks that giving someone the last word
means failing to actually *read* the last word you gave them.  He also
seems to think it's okay to forward people's private mail to mailing
lists they don't read.  But that's just bad taste.  My reply was:

 > That's circular.

I disagree.  Violent force has its own definition which is
independent of the definition of government.  If I said this:

    Government is the controlled exercise of violence.
    Violence is what government does to its victims.

*then* I would agree with you that the definition is circular.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.