Subject: Re: Thought crimes
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:54:14 -0800
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:54:14 -0800
on Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 07:21:40PM -0800, Crispin Cowan (crispin@wirex.com) wrote:
> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:
>
> > You want to make a frontal attack on them; I think that history shows
> > that this rarely results in empowering average people.  Instead, it
> > simply results in shifting power among the elites.
>
> <RANT>
> Nothing has EVER truly empowered the common people,

Tautology?  Once empowered, they're no longer common?  I'll wager that
much of the assembled crowd is over 30, will be one day, or will die
trying.  Do you trust yourself?

While I have to admit I'm partly in here for the empowering feature, I
don't see it as something that's going to change the structure of
society.  More -- it's a large paddle applied to the societal soup.
Some elements will be raised by it, some lowered.  No matter how much
you do to alleviate poverty, there's always going to be a top and bottom
tenth percentile.  The objectives IMO are:

  - Maintain a healthy level of circulation -- not to fast (things get
    messy -- soup spills), not to slow (stagnation -- soup burns).

  - Try to keep the gradient from top to bottom to a level which
    encourages (and rewards) initiative, but doesn't inspire greed or
    envy to harmful levels.

As the man who slapped the laughing witch said:  "the goal is to strike a
happy medium".

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]