Subject: Re: [Fwd: [icecast-dev] Xiph.org announces Vorbis Beta 4 and the Xiph.org Foundation]
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:38:09 +1100
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:38:09 +1100
on Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 07:33:55PM +0000, Ben Laurie (ben@algroup.co.uk) wrote:
> Gasp! RMS endorses a BSD licence?

It makes sense to use a more permissive license to promote a
*technological standard*, particularly in the face of competing
standards.  BIND, Sendmail, Kerberos, and Apache have all benefitted
from this approach.

I'm kicking around a speil on strategic aspects of licensing options
and identifing issues which may want to be considered in free software
licensing.  I'm starting to look for venues to post it for review, will
do this in the next few days.

BSD/MIT, GPL, and MozPL all have their place, IMO.  Licenses
significantly deviating from these I'm much less convinced of.  But when
it comes down to it, licenses are tools which should be fitted to tasks.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]