Subject: Re: [Freesw] Re: FreeDevelopers
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 22:42:37 -0400 (EDT)

TonStanco@aol.com writes:
 > > sethg@ropine.com writes:
 > >  Let's say you actually have a piece of software that you're making
 > >  available through this system, and then Red Hat downloads a copy of
 > >  it, puts *their* warranty and brand on it, and competes with you for
 > >  the same high-end customers.  How will you convince potential
 > >  customers to pay you and not Red Hat?
 >
 > Most sophisticated business people understand that to have a viable industry
 > longterm, the developers of free software have to be directly paid for the
 > development itself. We give them the opportunity to paid the developers.

I'm giving a talk at the Trenton Computer Festival entitled "Making a
living on software you didn't write", at 2:00 on May 6th in Edison,
NJ.  More information is available at http://tcf-nj.org

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an