Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:48:46 +0900

Going for two-for-two....

    >> And not all proprietary code removes the freedom to fork.  It
    >> just ups the price to greater than zero.

    rn> Even if the price was zero, you still wouldn't have the
    rn> freedom to fork.  If the code is proprietary, then by
    rn> definition you cannot make a unlateral decision to fork it.

That depends on the license.  AFAICT, the AFPL permits you to fork
Aladdin Ghostscript any time you like.  (I wasn't trolling, really, I
just didn't realize that was the canonical example when I wrote my
earlier message.)  All you are restricted from doing[1] is (a) selling
the result without making arrangements to pay royalties to Aladdin[2],
and (b) telling people that they can sell the result without paying
royalties to Aladdin.

Footnotes:
[1]  As compared to say GPL.

[2]  I suppose I should actually write "Artifex", but I forget the
details.