Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:17:48 -0400 (EDT)

DJ Delorie writes:

 > > Tom Hull writes:
 > >  > It is interesting how much F has been developed by people when they
 > >  > are not acting as entrepreneurs, capitalists, or [wage] workers.
 > >
 > > I need an example here.
 >
 > While I never heard back from them, there once was a group of
 > programmers who were planning on having an "ace of penguins weekend".
 > They were going to get together and eat, drink (which may be why I
 > never heard back from them ;), and write as many solitaire programs as
 > they could (quantity, not quality) using the Ace toolkit over the
 > weekend.
 >
 > Just for fun.

Economics only deals with scarcity (abundance is uninteresting because
it's not a problem that needs solving -- but that's okay because
scarcity is abundant).  The only scarcity I can see here is the
entrepreneurs needed to organize such an event.  As you note, since
you never heard back from them, they may have been too scarce.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Microsoft rivets everything.
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Linux has some loose screws.
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX  | You own a screwdriver.