Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:04:38 -0700
Mon, 28 May 2001 12:04:38 -0700
on Mon, May 28, 2001 at 10:18:59AM -0700, Rich Morin (rdm@cfcl.com) wrote:
> At 11:20 PM -0700 5/27/01, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >I've run some stats on this.  Counting unstable development, at the end
> >of April, 2001, there were 824 package maintainers producing 6,875
> >packages for Debian.  Most of them handling one or two packages, a few
> >doing upwards of a score or two.
>
> Are all of these folks primary developers or are some of them simply
> folks who (like many maintainers on the FreeBSD Ports Collection) only
> make sure that a given package builds for the OS in question?

They're mostly packagers, not developers, though some are involved in
upstream development.  For packages which are compiled, there's some
modification of the build environment, and in some cases, patches
applied to the source.

Rich, do you have stats for the fBSD world?  I'd assume ports to be
similar in structure to DEBs in terms of build support.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]