Subject: Is the party over? was Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: Thomas Hudson <thudson@tomy.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:19:29 -0700

I'm sorry if I seemed overly antagonistic. But lately I find myself
realizing that my joy that free software had stemmed the
tide of the great monopolist is to be short lived.

Yes, free software may have stopped them from monopolizing
server space, but while fighting that battle we lost the browser
war. For 85 percent of the population, the view onto the Net
is controlled by M$. If they hit 95, will web sites only cater
to IE? Someday will I be forced to use windows to surf the
Net, or listen to music, or read a book?

I hear about things like Passport/Hailstorm and I can
self-righteously say that I'll never sign up for it, but will
I even have a choice? One of Microsoft's first partners
was eBay, and since I have an eBay account, perhaps
I'm "already a winner."

We're making improvements on the desktop, but for
naught. As long as PC's are shipped only with
windows installed, they'll be no serious market
penetration. Hardware vendors are slowly
moving back into M$ fear mode.

Getting VC for a free software business is currently
impossible. Jobs for free software programmers
are non-existent.

AOL/Time-Warner will kneel before it's master
just to get that icon on WinXP. Netscape has
abandoned the browser. (At least we have the
source).

I know of several set top box companies that
are completely dependant on M$ porting it's
Digital Rights Management software  to Linux or
they face going under.

The MPAA and the RIAA will eventually go to bed
with M$.

The only company holding a carrot over M$ is Tivo
with their patents. I assume a purchase is inevitable.

And now we see M$ even subjugate the rule of law.
The antitrust case will go out with a whimper.

Someone please tell me I'm just having a bad day.

Tomy