Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!? (LONG. COMPREHENSIVE)
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:05:01 -0400 (EDT)

kragen@pobox.com writes:
 > Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:
 > > Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > >  > RMS does too.  But he, like Rawls, is interested in "primary goods,"
 > >  > in particular, freedom.  He is not interested in whether people live
 > >  > materially more comfortable lives in freedom or in slavery, and no
 > >  > amount of material wealth can compensate for slavery.
 > >
 > > I'm not going to argue against the idea that an attribute
 > > (e.g. freedom, or healthcare, or the environment) can be held to be
 > > priceless.  I'll just note that someone who feels this way can only
 > > have one such attribute.
 >
 > Actually, they can have an ordered sequence of them; perhaps nothing
 > is more important than survival, but only survival is more important
 > than freedom (but they'd be willing to sacrifice an arbitrarily large
 > amount of freedom for an arbitrarily small amount of survival).

The price of freedom which you will not pay is survival, so how can
you reasonably say that freedom is priceless?

Further replies from me will be off-list.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Microsoft rivets everything.
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Linux has some loose screws.
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX  | You own a screwdriver.