Subject: Re: the .NET battle ends
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:43:12 -0700
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:43:12 -0700
on Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 04:08:38PM -0400, Ben Tilly@trepp.com (Ben Tilly@trepp.com)
wrote:

> Tom Lord wrote:
> > From
> http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2813501,00.html
> >

> >           MS: You don't trust us? OK, we'll open Passport, Hailstorm
> >                        David Coursey,
> >                         Executive Editor, AnchorDesk

<...>

> My take is pretty cynical.  First of all I wonder what exactly the
> conditions will be to join their "web of trust".  It seems to me that
> they are likely to become a very large and powerful player in that,
> and their acceptance of a player is likely to come very expensively,
> if at all, for anyone they consider a competitor.
>
> I also would read this alongside my opinion of the SSSCA stated at
> http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mss:6169:200109:jjboaddhgocelmndgcff
> - noting carefully Karsten's point about "No sunshine".  If they can
> make .NET and Passport into official government standards under the
> SSSCA, then they will be able to negotiate all contacts about access
> to their web of trust one on one, with no protections allowing anyone
> else in, and with all provisions of anti-trust law explicitly
> rescinded.

The other penny here is the SSSCA.  If MSFT are truly capitulating on
the .NET / Hailstorm / Passport front (and one wonders what DoJ
involvement there may have been), I'd expect to see the draft
legislation quietly scuttled, or substantially redrafted to reflect only
the Disney concerns.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]