Subject: Re: the .NET battle ends
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:06:16 -0700
wrote:

> > Tom Lord wrote:
> > > From
> > http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2813501,00.html
> > >

> > >           MS: You don't trust us? OK, we'll open Passport, Hailstorm
> > >                        David Coursey,
> > >                         Executive Editor, AnchorDesk
>
> <...>
>
> > My take is pretty cynical.  First of all I wonder what exactly the
> > conditions will be to join their "web of trust".  It seems to me that
> > they are likely to become a very large and powerful player in that,
> > and their acceptance of a player is likely to come very expensively,
> > if at all, for anyone they consider a competitor.
> >
> > I also would read this alongside my opinion of the SSSCA stated at
> > http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mss:6169:200109:jjboaddhgocelmndgcff
> > - noting carefully Karsten's point about "No sunshine".  If they can
> > make .NET and Passport into official government standards under the
> > SSSCA, then they will be able to negotiate all contacts about access
> > to their web of trust one on one, with no protections allowing anyone
> > else in, and with all provisions of anti-trust law explicitly
> > rescinded.
>
> The other penny here is the SSSCA.  If MSFT are truly capitulating on
> the .NET / Hailstorm / Passport front (and one wonders what DoJ
> involvement there may have been), I'd expect to see the draft
> legislation quietly scuttled, or substantially redrafted to reflect only
> the Disney concerns.

Reading with comprehension.

I'm reversing myself.  If Ben's reading of the SSSCA was right (and I'm
still convinced it bordering on paranoid insanity), "opening" the .NET
standard is the next page of the script.  Opening Passport/Hailstorm
isn't a capitulation at all.

In this case, SSSCA isn't scrapped (though substantial revisions are
required for sheer technical reasons), but is instead used as a
legislative hammer to pound .NET into the US's technical infrastructure,
or at least create substantial confusion of the marketspace for
Microsoft to reestablish its competitive position.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]