Subject: Re: engineering counts
From: Norbert Bollow <nb@thinkcoach.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:09:17 +0200

Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> wrote:

> When I turn to an FSB website and find little besides the touting of
> "solutions" -- where solutions means particular pieces of software
> backed by vague "support" -- the engineer in me screams "amateurs!"
> and "trend followers!".  What I really want to find is visibility into
> the engineering process: org charts, workflows, testing procedures and
> results, status reports.... What I really want to see on "products and
> services" pages is, sure, shrink-wrapped solutions for low-budget
> customers but, beyond that, "here's how you get to interface to our
> engineering pipeline in deep and meaningful ways."

Yes.

And then charge a reasonably high price for this access to the
engineering pipeline.

Maybe in some areas of business, this will be the best way to fund
Free Software development.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com