Subject: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Scott Capdevielle <scott@syndicom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:49:08 -0800

Sorry about being snide, you are right.

I have been trying to educate myself for the past 18 months about the
phenomenon of open source software.  I have read many fine books
("Hacker Ethic", "Cathedral and the Bazaar", "the Future of Ideas", "the
Internet Galaxy", etc) each trying to explain why people are creating
software and attaching open source licenses to it as well as what this
means for the future.

The bottom line is that when people collaborate and share intellectual
property, the innovation that flourishes around that "shared resource"
is great, and the more useful (both vertically and horizontally) that
"shared resource" is, the greater the innovation that happens as a
result.

So, when someone suggests that you should pay a "license fee" for the
ability to use Ximian software or any software " because you are a
member of civil society" makes me chuckle.  In my opinion, a more civil
society would freely share their intellectual property, rather than
restrict and charge for it.

There is ample room to charge for services required to extend, support,
service the software.

Example:  The drug industry.  A lot of people think that J & J and Merck
are perfectly justified charging monopolistic prices for the drugs they
"invent" (very similar to charging a "license" for use of that drug).
When the patent runs out those same drugs are available at about 5% of
the original price, highlighting the fact that the cost to produce and
distribute the drug is a tiny fraction of what the Drug companies
originally charge.  What is civil about that?

Scott

Rather than simply being snide, perhaps you'd care to explain your
position.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com